Be very careful with any kind of lithium batteries, including LiFePO4, in
aircraft.  I had a Ballistic EVO2 LiFePO4 battery in my aircraft for about
80 hours with no issues, but I have now removed it after the second of two
significant incidents (one fatal) in Australia caused by LiFePO4 batteries.
 I just didn't want to be worrying about it while in the air - especially
since the battery is directly under the seat in my aircraft.

It's true LiFePO4 is a lot safer than LiPo batteries, but their technical
requirements, discharge characteristics and failure modes are quite
different to lead acid batteries and not well understood by most aircraft
owners.  They do not like being heavily discharged and over-voltage during
charging is a definite no no.  Typical solid state regulators use pulse
width modulation to achieve a well regulated average voltage, but the
voltage of the pulses is whatever the alternator puts out - which can be as
high as 22 volts, well above the 14.6V limit of LiFePO4 batteries.

These batteries are being marketed as direct replacements for lead acid and
it's true that for their weight they make great starter batteries.  But the
marketing doesn't address the differences with lead acid in any way and the
potential for a fire or the discharge of toxic gases (e.g. hydrogen
flouride) exceeds my comfort level in an aircraft, although I'd use one in
a car or motorbike or the like without hesitation.

Another aspect that doesn't seem to be well understood is that while a lead
acid battery shows a gradual drop in voltage as it's discharged, lithium
batteries will hold close to the nominal voltage until quite deep in the
discharge cycle and then the voltage will drop very steeply to below useful
levels.  This has implications in the event of alternator failure if you're
counting on the battery to run the panel or the ignition.  By the time a
drop in voltage is noticed, there's very little time left.

You might notice too that the marketing for lithium batteries tends to
focus on the cold cranking amps of lithium compared with lead acid and on
that basis lithium batteries look great.  But the actual amount of energy
stored in the battery is a lot lower (typically around a third) than a lead
acid battery of equivalent cca performance.  This means the lithium battery
won't be able to run a given load (say a glass panel or a radio stack or an
electronic ignition) for as long as a lead acid battery with equivalent
starting performance.

On the surface these batteries are a great development, but the marketing
that says they're a drop in replacement for lead acid batteries is
misleading.  There are several factors that need to be well understood if
you're planning to put one in an aircraft.

Cheers,

Tony