> Jeff said,
>
> " . . . not many pilots are going to be willing to pull the hinge pins to
> look at the engine regularly before flight."
>
> I don't think anybody does that anymore.
>
> Mike
> KSEE

Thank you Mike.  You make a great straight man.

That was exactly my point.  If you make it easy enough, you will look under the
cowl.

On my Cub, I pop two overcenter latches and raise the side of the cowl and have
one whole side of the engine exposed including intake tubes and exhaust system
when I check the oil.  I'll see immediately if I have an exhaust leak or
cracked intake.  I have also helped configure a glass (RV-7) cowl to the same
type of arrangement, so it can certainly be done easily enough for a glass
cowl.

Opening the side of the cowl is no more difficult than opening the oil door on
the cowl I built for my KR.  If that line of thought had occurred to me 18
years ago, I would have configured my KR cowl that way.  But at that point in
time, I was in the "get it done and get it flying phase" of building. :o)

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM