Thank you Jeff and Mark.  I've never heard of case fretting until now and
thanks to you two anyone reading this knows what it is, what causes it,
how to prevent it and what to do about it (line bore & bottom end
re-build) if allowed to progress.   Re-torqueing my head bolts is now on
my "to do" list.

Mike

***************

Mike Stirewalt wrote:

> What is "crankcase fretting?"

One example of crankcase fretting is wear that occurs when the case
halves that make up the "crank cradle" rub against one another, because
operational forces momentarily (during each piston throw) relieve the
bolt tension that normally holds the two halves tightly together. The
displacement of the material at the joints allows the case halves to
clamp together tighter when the engine isn't running, which has the
effect of tightening the main bearings against the crank, in this
example.

--
Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com

*************

The Jabiru engines mandate a pretty regular re-torquing of case bolts and
head bolts.  My take on this, which could be entirely wrong, is that
builders that want to treat their Jabiru like a Lycoming or Continental
(meaning with little maintenance other than oil changes) are the ones
that are seeing issues with case fretting.  In fact, that's exactly what
happens when the through bolts stretch and/or are allowed to run a bit
loose if one doesn't stick to the torque schedule in the maintenance
manual.  Through studs do stretch quite a bit, which is why Jabiru has a
torquing schedule in their maintenance manual.

The center mains on the VW engines are often times fretted and narrowed.
I have seen the same on the center mains on many air cooled engines,
including Lycoming and Continental if they aren't torqued correctly.
That's the chief cause for DIVCO milling and line boring used cases is to
fix the narrowed center main due to case fretting from improperly torqued
through bolts.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM

What's your flood risk?
Find flood maps, interactive tools, FAQs, and agents in your area.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/547b9a24871a61a241a0ast02vuc