On 1/2/2015 8:27 PM, Mark Jones via KRnet wrote:
> Does anyone know of any app that can be installed on an iPhone which will
> allow you to listen to aviation frequencies? I want one that I can program
> the frequency I want to listen to.

Mark, the iPhone isn't capable of listening to aviation frequencies
directly (it does not have an AM radio receiver in it).

However, there are sites that stream the audio over the Internet, and
you can use those to listen to airports around the world.  Not the same
as putting in a frequency, but it might get close to what you want.

Here is my favorite:

http://www.liveatc.net/

Browse here with Safari web browser on the iPhone, put in your airport,
and it will stream the audio from that airport if there is a listening
station nearby, or you can install their IOS app.

If your local airport does not yet have a listening station, you can buy
one from them and set it up.  You'll need a place to put an antenna, and
an Internet connection for the listening station as well as a scanner
with AM receive for picking up the aviation frequencies.  I have a
Raspberry Pi setup as a listening station for my local airport, and all
told I might have $100 in the whole thing, antenna, scanner, and all.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87
Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/