Joe,

I think it can be made to work with the extra drag you are installing, but
there are a couple of issues with your plan.

#1), Your KR can land much slower than 70 mph.  You should be able to touch
down around 55 mph if you hit your approaches right.  That's an approximate
speed because it depends a lot on which wing you have, flaps, weight, etc.
With flaps and RAF 48 Diehl wings, I stall at 52 mph.  Your KR can be build to
land slower than mine.

#2) Hard braking at high speed isn't all that great on my KR.  I know if I
touch down a bit hot and want to brake hard, I'll get quite a bit of chatter
from the glass gear flexing back.  I simply can't brake hard until I get slowed
down a bit.  I've got good Cleveland brakes in excellent condition.  It's the
gear legs that flex a bit, but my gear legs are longer than others, so that
"may" be the root of the high speed chatter.

#3) Before I put flaps on my KR, I landed at a short runway where I had to drop
over a tall tree at the end of the runway.  I picked up too much speed dropping
in over the tree, so forced the plane on the runway a bit fast and figured I'd
brake hard to make the end of the runway.  I came very close to sailing off the
end of the runway.  Even the good Cleveland disc brakes were fading pretty
badly by the end of the runway.  This experience convinced me to add flaps to
my KR.  You've already addressed this issue, but the point is that even the
best 5:00x5 brakes will fade as they get hot.  You may want to consider going
to a larger 6:00x6 brake with low profile tires.  Larry Flesner had his KR
configured that way for a few years.

#4) You don't say whether this is grass or really smooth, but braking action
isn't very good on grass, and even less so with every little bump in the grass.
 The smaller the tires, the less traction you're going to have on the grass.

Again, I think it can be done, but there are a few issues to be worked out and
a lot of practice to get there.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM