CraigW wrote:

 >If that is true and  you make a major change like going from a VW to
 > a Corvair do you have to go back to Phase 1?

I'm not sure what the duration would be for a completely different
engine, but I hear "five hours" thrown around a lot for a "major
change", and 20 wouldn't surprise me.  When I went from my 3100cc back
to a 2700cc Corvair, I called the FSDO and they said "don't bother us
about that little change or a propeller change, but if you  change to a
completely different type of engine, call us back".  I think it depends
a lot on what's written in your "operating limitations", and probably
even more on who answers the phone at the FSDO!

 From an FAA website:

  Each aircraft issued an experimental airworthiness certificate has
operating limitations attached. During flight-testing, specific
limitations (phase 1) are prescribed for you to show the aircraft is
capable of safe flight (compliance to 14 CFR section 91.319 "Aircraft
having experimental certificates - Operating limitations".)  After
successful flight-testing more liberal (Phase II) operating limitations
become effective.  Examples of operating limitations for amateur-built
aircraft are in Order 8130.2, "Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft
and Related Products".

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com