I installed a UMA 2 1/4" MP gauge in my KR when it was new.  It's currently
$159 Aircraft Spruce Part # 10-11250.  I use it primarily for fine tuning the
throttle settings at altitude.  It's just another tool for monitoring the
engine performance.  Seems to me that I used a primer nozzle to tap the
manifold to keep it from leaking too much in the off chance the line to the MP
gauge failed, broke or fell off.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM