On 01/28/2016 01:21 PM, Mike Stirewalt via KRnet wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion DJ but at $2500 from Gulf Coast (usually the
> cheapest source) I'm thinking I can find an ADS-B out solution a lot
> cheaper than that.

For a tiny airplane like the KR, getting rid of the old Mode C
transponder and the associated weight and panel space, and replacing
with an EFIS on the panel that not only can do the transponder control
function but a whole lot of other things seems like an exceptional deal
to me.  :-)

I sold my old KT76 transponder for $400 so there is at least some
financial return for doing the upgrade.

You still need an approved WAAS GPS position source so there is
additional cost above and beyond the TT22 and GRT Mini if you don't
already have something like a Garmin 430W or GNS480 in the plane.

You are entirely correct that there are cheaper alternatives if you want
to keep the old transponder and add a UAT for the ADS-Out.

On example from Freeflight is a 978 Mhz UAT with integrated GPS for $2k.
 Going this approach means keeping the weight of the old Mode C
transponder, antenna, and wiring, and also using up more panel space,
and potential increased maintenance costs, etc.

There are always trade-offs.  :-)

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - EAA Chapter 87