As I said, I
read what is written and mostly stay stub. That is until I read something that I
know myself is 100% factually incorrect and that might effect the decision of
someone trying to make a very personal choice. Then I just think it not proper
or correct that miss information is bantered around. I feel a need to put
things right. Therefore, if full
details are not known about the topic with 100% confidence, then you shouldn't
really say anything especially when safety matters and personal losses are
involved.

Gentlemen,  let us all agree that you
don?t have to look far before you read of many KR2 in flight failures.

NTSB Identification: WPR11FA155   quote : The rapid
descent was probably initiated by the separation of about half of the vertical
stabilizer as a result of severe turbulence while the airplane was near the
location of the final radar return. The departure of a portion of the vertical
stabilizer and pieces of the rudder would have resulted in the pilot?s inability
to control the airplane, followed by a rapid descent and subsequent in-flight
breakup.

KR2 G-BOLZ in
the UK, broke up in the air, admittedly after a mid air
collision that killed three of my friends.

But these are
extreme cases.  Anyway it doesn?t need to
be an inflight break up that causes you to want to get out and pull a string.

We all know
that the last reported radio transmissions from Ken Rand were,

 At 3:45 Ken reported he was icing -- at 8,000 feet. At 3:53 the last
transmission was received:
"I'm at three thousand and I'm going to hit!"

Another Kr pilot
carried out this unwise manoeuvres detailed below,

 the
pilot initiated an intentional spin, throttling the engine to idle, pulling on
the carburetor heat, and increasing the nose up attitude of the airplane until
it stalled and entered a spin to the left. During the first few rotations the
engine quit, and the propeller stopped turning. After several rotations the
spin stabilized about 20 degrees nose down, and remained in the steady state
until impact. During the descent the pilot was observed attempting various
control inputs without effect.

A canopy latch
coming undone, is enough to open a sideways hinging canopy and have it detach
in flight. With the disturbed airflow over the tailplane, it makes the aircraft
very difficult to control.

So it does not
need to be structural failure of our beloved planes that makes one need to
think a little more. Had these four pilots been wearing a parachute, what would
have been the outcome and their actions? The structural integrity of the KR2 is
not in doubt, but sometimes, certain factors negate this. But lets all agree not
to say there have never been any known in flight failures of any kind, as its
just not true.

I come from a
gliding back ground. I have worn a parachute through all of my flying of
gliders, therefore I am biased. it is compulsory in some clubs to wear chutes,
due to the close proximity to other
gliders in thermaling flight. I?d never be without one personally after seeing
three mid airs when racing gliders. But lets try
and keep this to facts and nothing personal. There are on average 30 mid air
collisions a year throughout Europe. Not everyone needs to get out, next to no
glider pilots are
professional sky divers yet the success rate for getting out is very very high.
Different
countries quote different figures.

An ?air
experience? member of the public who had never flown a glider before was taking
a flight in a K21 glider in England in 2009. The glider was hit by
lightning and the rapid increase in temperature of the air within the wings
blew them apart and the melting of the control tubes meant that staying in the
glider was no longer a viable option. The paying passenger hadn?t even been
shown how to use the parachute, just how to open the cockpit and undo his
straps. He worked it all out and landed uninjured. The pilot in the back
sprained his ankle. Our BBC
made a documentary about it.

Glider pilots
in Europe are taught that if you can not get out
of the aircraft because of high wind forces keeping you in or the glider is
spinning or out of control or your legs are
trapped in the straps, or under the instrument panel, just lean forward or try
stand up and simply pull the cord. On many designs, this fires out on a spring
the primary chute that pulls out the main chute and the chute will inflate and
pull you out
rapidly whether you are ready or not. The lowest known recorded height a glider
emergency chute was open was 400ft. He
survived. Parargliders have emergency chutes on board that will deploy in
60ft.  That is 60 feet for a paraglider
chute and 400 ft for a normal emergency chute operated by a complete novice,
not the staggering 4,000 ft that was quoted. The chutes we use hear at the
gliding club are 12 lb and they indeed have a rated
minimum deployment altitude of 400ft. The guy getting out of the struck P51
mustang in England last year after a mid air collision
removed his elevators was doing 200 knots and also at 400 feet. It was all over
in about 15 seconds. Its on youtube. He bruised his arm. These are all facts,
not opinions or
guesses.. Facts.

I agree, if
you are still in control of your aircraft stay in it and take your chance, if
you are not and you have a parachute? get out and use it.

It is mentioned that John Schaffer did a flat spin from 8000', and survived.
Has anyone asked him what he would have done if he had been wearing a parachute?

Jumping out of a spinning or otherwise disabled plane is not without its  risks
as well... perhaps higher than sticking with the plane. Not according to the
statistics offered by our CAA and British Gliding association. What if your
plane crashes into a house and kills a family eating lunch? That'd be bad.
Surely, if your plane is so disabled and out of control that you need to get
out, the plane is still going to hit the dinner table whether you are in it or
not.  So this statement seems rather distasteful. I've got 150 hours hauling
sky divers, was required to wear a chute, and I'm with Langford onthis one. I
swore from my first flight that I would stick with the plane unless it was
totallyout of control or fire licking at my toes.  Ok, so you would jump if the
plane is on fire and totally out of control. We have all seen the video of the
two jump plane Cessna?s hitting each other with fire and wings falling off. If
not, youtube, its scary and I?m glad they all had chutes.  If a chute is of any
value you need altitude. I would suggest that anything happening to warrant an
exit would have to happen at or above 3000 feet if you were to have any chance
of a clean exit, stabilize and pull the rip cord, and get a good canopy. I base
that on an in-experienced jumper trying to exit an out of control aircraft
having used up valuable altitude even deciding to jump and falling 1000 feet
every 8 seconds after exit. Given that and the extremely low odds that you
would ever need it make it a very low priority in my view. Go with your own
comfort level...... So this means we should tell all those hundreds of people
who are walking about today from bailing out aircraft below 3,000 feet that
really they shouldn?t have bothered because they had little to no chance of
surviving. I find that a little worrying and off putting and factually
incorrect. There are approximately 60,000 glider and light aircraft and stunt
pilots in Europe alone that wear parachutes and most of them never get above
2,000 ft agl. But what we should tell them is that actually they are wasting
their time wearing their parachutes after reading what you have written from
your experience. Jim asks, ?I have stalled the KR2 but I did not spin it. Does
anyone have experience with spinning a KR2. Seems the close coupling would make
that an interesting aviation experiment. The tail is a bit small so would it
stop the rotation? If you have any thought please share.?

Jim, if you read accident report NTSB Identification: WPR13FA380  this will
give you a 100% factual report about spinning a KR2. I suggest if you want to
try it, make sure you go very high and have a parachute on.

I agree that Safety gear is a personal decision. Even if it just adds
confidence, it has value. But Tommy, you have included the important word.
?Decision!? It is a belief of mine that we can only decide what is right for us
if we have honest genuine reliable information to consider, not opinions or
hear say, or rumour, but true facts. That is why I am saying that if people do
not know what they are saying is factually correct beyond all reasonable doubt,
they should not say anything at all. If anyone is upset or a bit miffed about
reading what I have written, well it was never the intention. Heck I?ve got far
better things to do with my time. But in return, when I read something that I
know is not factually correct, well it makes me boil, especially when there is
so much valuable experience at hand on KRnet that may be discredited or
ridiculed but hear say or misguided opinions. People look to this site and ask
for knowledge so they can have better understanding to make often personal
choices for their projects. Let?s give them the best chance of making their
right choice, by keeping to the facts. Regards, Colin H.