Very well stated. Stay with the plane. Fires don't burn for more than seconds.
Fuel should be turned off.?Engine failure is the most likely item. Other than
IFR screwups, engines stopping is what brings them down. Not fires.

-------- Original message --------
From: Mark Langford via KRnet <krnet at list.krnet.org>
Date: 05/10/2016  22:22  (GMT-05:00)
To: KRnet <krnet at list.krnet.org>
Cc: Mark Langford <ml at n56ml.com>
Subject: KR> parachutes

Regarding parachutes, it's worth mentioning that there's never been an
inflight structural failure of a KR (the all-composite one at high speed
at the Gathering doesn't count, in my mind), although there is a
question of elevator bellcrank failure in one plane, but it's possible
it was crash induced.? There may be others, but no spar or fuselage
failure that I know of.

So given that record and the many thousands of KR hours logged, what are
the chances that you're going to have to go down somewhere so
inhospitable that you can do some semblance of a landing somewhere?
Even if it's in the tree tops, you'll likely survive it.? So assuming
you are still in control of a plane that's capable of gliding, I'd just
stall it in the tree tops somewhere.? John Schaffer did that in a flat
spin from 8000', and survived.

And how much time do you spend over that kind of terrain in Missouri
anyway?? Your chances are looking better already!? Jeff Scott probably
doesn't like what he sees out the window 75% of the time, but he doesn't
wear a parachute.

Jumping out of a spinning or otherwise disabled plane is not without its
risks as well...perhaps higher than sticking with the plane to put it on
the ground somewhere.? You could get whacked in the head by the
horizontal stabilizer, or your parachute might be a streamer, etc.? And
what if your plane crashes into a house and kills a family eating lunch?
? That'd be bad.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you are so concerned about a
structural or control failure, you should probably start thinking twin
engines and lot of other redundancy.? Statistics are on your side
though...if your plane goes down, it'll likely be a fuel problem or a
broken crankshaft, and then you simply land in a field or on a road.? At
least that way you still have a plane that you can rebuild or scavenge
for parts, or just maybe, it won't have a scratch on it!? No need to
carry 20 pounds around for years expecting it to pay off someday, when
it likely won't.

I have about 1400 hours of KR time, and I've had plenty of engine
problems, and zero structural problems.? With the plane 20 pounds
lighter, and the comfort of not being packed into my seat with a
parachute, I've had some pretty smooth and enjoyable flying so far.

And yes, I do know that the second engine is just there to get you to
the scene of the crash...

--
Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com