Bill Jacobs wrote:

 > What do you consider the best book on carbon fiber in a how to book
for dyi?

I don't think I have a book specific to carbon fiber...it's done the
same way as fiberglass...mix up epoxy, wet out the carbon fiber, and
apply.  The biggest difference is that carbon fiber is stiffer and less
likely to follow curves, and since it's black, it's more difficult to
ascertain if it's completely wet out.  Other than that, it's about the
same as fiberglassing.  There's a lot on fiberglassing shown in the
links given at www.n56ml.com, particularly wings, vertical and
horizontal stabs, control surfaces, fwd and aft decks, etc.

One aid to all composite work is to use clear "builder's plastic" to
define the exact shape you need (with a Sharpie), and then cut it out
with a couple of inches extra around the edges, then wet out the cloth
directly on the plastic.  That way when you pick it up off the table to
transfer it to the part, it will retain its shape and not change
dimension or weave orientation.    There are several examples of that on
my web page also.  The spinner page shows that pretty clearly, at
http://www.n56ml.com/spinner/ .

The KR builder's manual gives some good tips on how to do trailing edges
and sharp corners.  I'm sure there are also many others in the projects
listed on www.krnet.org .

If you're talking about actual design work with carbon fiber, it's not
trivial...but I can think of nowhere on a KR where you'd need that,
unless you're going to do something radical like carbon fiber spars.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com