That equation has never worked for me either.  If it makes anybody feel
any better, Joe Horton reminded me today that he can reproduce 180 mph
TAS on a regular basis, and his ASI system is well calibrated. He also
has a nosewheel out front. Temperature and altitude are factors, and of
course RPM and weight of the plane.

I flew the KR2 (old wing) with a 54x50 prop today at WOT at 168 mph TAS
at about 2500 ft, so I'm getting over 100% efficiency.  Bottom line is
this equation doesn't fit KRs.  Properly built, they are simply more
efficient than most airplanes out there, especially at the time that
equation was probably hatched...I'm guessing the early 1940's.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com