Mike Stirewalt wrote:

 > Anybody know if the flywheel alternators that are in the Great Plains
 > engines wear out with time?  It seems my voltmeter needle is riding
 > around 11 volts instead of 12 with the engine at full RPM.  It might be
 > my imagination.

See
http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/940-0751%20Onan%20NH%20(RV%20spec%20J-P)%20NHC,%20NHCV%20(spec%20E)%20Engine%20Service%20Manual%20(04-1987).pdf

Pages 31 (starting at "30A synchro system) and 32 (testing) are all you
need to test regulator and generator.  I have this dumb-as-dirt
single-phase system also, and it is surprisingly smooth voltage with
zero EMI noise on the radio, or the rest of the system, best I can tell.

Given that these use permanent magnets, it is certainly conceivable that
they could lose their magnetism over time, but I wouldn't expect it to
happen quickly.  Regulator would be my first guess.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com