Here's the article that crossed my path this morning.

http://goo.gl/bLDHvZ

As Mark W. correctly points out, the drone registration is that of the
owner/operator, not the drone itself.  A source I came across this
afternoon says each operator has 1.5 drones, so the actual numbers of
drones is much higher than the 500,000 figure given in the article.

Looking at numbers of registered aircraft (conventional) AOPA's figure is
approximately 224,000 as of 2011.  Their figure is for "active" aircraft.
 And that was five years ago.  Looking at the year-by-year decline on
AOPA's chart I would guess current active aircraft, including helicopters
and Experimentals, is getting close to 200,000.

On the other side of things, attendance at Oshkosh was 1% higher this
year than last year.   563,000 people showed up over seven days, and 10%
more vendors this year than last.  The increased number of vendors were
there to sell drones :-)

Mike
KSEE

Surprising Way to Lose Pounds, Relieve Gas and Bloating
You eat right, exercise, but still can't seem to lose those extra pounds. ...
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/57a29ddac0fff1dd8263bst03vuc