Bill Weir wrote:

>> You had for sale ,or sold a KR2 that was described as having a
retractable
>> trigear undercarriage that was being converted to a taildrager. I
wonder if
>> you could describe how the trigear retract was done?

You guys apparently missed that I forwarded that KR2 for sale email...
it wasn't MY KR2, and the guy selling it may know very little about it,
as the plane was given to him by the widow of the guy that built it many
years ago.  The all-retractable gear setup was mentioned in several
issues of the KR Newsletters, which are two thousand pages of searchable
PDF files, located at
http://www.krnet.org/newsletter/ .  Below is an excerpt from issue
number 47, in 1979.

"KR-2 N24BD Bill DeFreeze was on hand to demonstrate his retractable
tri-gear system to all comers. If you're looking for the least
expensive, quickest to build, retractable trigear, Bill has it. He's
selling plans to the system, one that utilizes many of Rand/ Robinson's
existing parts. A twenty dollar bill will get you the easy to follow
drawings and construction photos.

  I believe John Shaffer's "KR2SS" has them (or something similar) now.
There are some photos of it at one of the Gatherings also, although his
may be a different incarnation than the plans version.  I had lunch with
John at OSH this year, but I forgot to ask him if he would be at the
Gathering this year.  I hope so, and I know I will be.

It's worth pointing out that retracts on KRs went by the wayside after
Dan Diehl proved that his fixed gear, when properly faired, weighs less
and has lower drag than the RR plans-built retracts, and you don't have
to worry about gear-up landings!  They do look cool, and you can make
them pretty slippery if done right (like Don Betchan did using
motorcycle forks).  But still, there's that pesky gear-up thing!

For those who have not discovered the KR Newsletters, reading these will
keep you spellbound with KR history, innovation, improvements, and many
ways to build and fly KRs, for weeks to come.  Reading these will make
you a lot "KR smarter"...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com