OK, let's try again to be civil to each other.  I probably should have
simply thrown the offenders off the list and been done with it, but I
was in no mood to deal with this while I was at work.  Those involved
can consider themselves on probation.

Once again, the purpose of this email list is to help others build and
fly KR aircraft (or anything similar), not to tear each other down for
sport!  As we've just seen, little jabs (even if followed by smiley
faces) can light off big bombs.  Please refrain from either side of this
behavior.

Given that many people apparently can't find the rules on a website,
they are reprinted below.  Please read and comply with them, especially
you smart phone users who haven't bothered to figure out how to delete
the majority of the last post before you add your two cents worth to it
and repost it all over again.

1) Think long and hard before you publicly flame somebody on this list.
This list may not be like others you've been on. We don't do that here,
period. If you have a personal problem with another lister, you need to
address it off the list and spare the rest of us your angst. If you
disagree with something somebody else posted, you can disagree in a nice
manner without getting all bent out of shape. Just point out your side
of the discussion and let others be the judge. Public flaming and
superfluous bad language will not be tolerated.

2) When replying to a post, delete everything except one or two key
sentences from the previous post. It's really ridiculous to have to
search thru 3 or 4 pages of stuff to find down at the bottom where some
clown wrote "me too". Carrying all that useless baggage around from
as they end up getting 10 hits for the same message.

3) Conversely, at least put SOMETHING in the post to remind us what
you're replying to. A post like "yeah, that's how I did mine and it
works great" doesn't mean a thing if you don't know what the guy's
talking about, so please cut and paste some of what you're replying to
above your comments.

4) Carefully consider whether or not you even need to reply to a post.
Saying "me too", or "I don't know" doesn't contribute to the thread, it
just makes the list more bothersome. If you don't know what you're
talking about, maybe you should be listening, rather than talking. There
are FEW people who know everything about everything. Try to stick to
things you KNOW about, and let others answer the rest. A corollary to
this is if you find yourself making more than five posts in a single
day, you probably need to "stifle yourself"!

5) Try to write "keeper" posts if you're the expert on something. Cover
the whole issue, answer all possible questions, address both sides of an
issue, and make it a post that others will want to save or print out and
keep. Those are the gems that we all search for on KRNet.

6) Put your name and email address in your signature to make emailing
others "offnet" easier. If we all had our addresses at the bottom of our
posts, it would be far easier to "email direct". If it's blue just click
on it, if it's not, cut it and paste it into the "To" box. If throwing
your email address out on the internet makes you nervous (and it
should), camoflage it a little by replacing the @ symbol with "at", or
something similar, so that bot crawlers won't know what to do with it.

7) If you don't have anything substantial to say, please don't post
anything. This is a KR list, and as such, really needs to stay focused
on KRs, or at least airplanes. With over 600 people on the list, if we
all decided to say something every day we'd have a real problem. Ask
yourself "do 600 people really need to see this, or are 600 people going
to be annoyed by this?" Personally, my time is pretty precious to me,
and I hate to waste it reading inane email. And is it something that you
could find somewhere else?

8) Don't send enclosed files (except small photos) directly to the list.
Either post it to a web site or get someone else to post it so others
can see if they want, but don't have to if they don't. Also, enclosures
are famous for carrying viruses, which we could all do without. I
usually delete messages with enclosures immediately, unless I'm
expecting something from that person. I don't have three days to rebuild
my computer "for fun". And by all means, arm yourself with an anti-virus
program such as Malwarebytes. It's free and it works better than most.
There are other FREE antivirus programs out there. GET ONE!

9) If you have something you want to share, specify that you want
replies to go offline. It's nice to say "hey, I've got the holy grail on
thingamajigs, anybody want it?", but when 15 people reply online that
they want it it gets kinda painful wading thru all of those posts for
nothing. A gentle reminder to "reply offline" and furnishing your email
address will be a big help. On the other hand, it's entirely possible
that just about everybody would like to know more about something
helpful, just post it and get it over with.

10) Do not advertise commercial products to this list. It's OK to let
folks know there's a new service or a new business, but point them to
web site. We don't need a bunch of advertising here. Personal
testimonials as to a product's usefulness are welcome anytime, as long
as it's not YOUR product. Advertising and selling KRs, KR parts, or
something that can be used on one IS permissible anytime, however. Just
don't go overboard if it's your business you're "selling".

11) Try not to take things personally. We're all here to help each
other. There are usually several ways to take comments. Always try to
pick the "nicest" interpretation, rather than trying to read animousity
into a post. It's a lot easier to just ignore a snide comment and let it
slide. Try to avoid "having the last word".

12) It's OK to interject some personality into emails, just make a
contribution while you're at it. I like to let other KRNetters know who
I am and what my interests are, but I try to tack that sort of stuff to
the bottom of a post in which I've made some sort of contribution to the
cause.

13) Keep personal stuff offline. Finding that some other KRNetter is
from your neck of the woods isn't a good enough reason to bother us all
with your efforts to strike up an acquaintance. Email him direct, rather
than to the list.

14) Do not forward "chain mail" or ANYTHING that urges the sender to
"send this to everyone in your address book", or "forward to all your
friends". These are almost always either hoaxes, viruses, or just plain
don't have any place on KRnet. This includes messages dealing with
politics, nationalism, or religion. There are plenty of email lists
where you can flood your email inbox with warm, touchy-feely messages
from the heart. KRNet is NOT going to become one of them! I have already
thrown one of my best friends off the list for doing this, mainly
because he started the sentence with "I'll probably get thrown off the
list for this...". He was espousing his political view...exactly the
same as mine, but the rules are the rules, and even I abide by them.
Don't throw down the gauntlet, especially when you know better!

15) Change the subject if the thread starts to deviate from the original
intent. This makes searching the archive much more productive and far
less time-consuming for future builders who are in search of information.

16) Please read ALL of your messages before replying to ANY of them.
Why? Because much of the time, your reply will have already been
answered by somebody else (or lots of people), and your reply may just
be redundant, or even worse, already disproved by somebody that knows
more about it than you do!

17) The best way to send photos to the list is to put them on a website
somewhere else and send the link to the list. If that's over your head
or you only have one or two, you can send them direct to the list, as
long as the total size doesn't not exceed ~200k (a total of 250k, but
your text and "encoding" will cost you some of that). That's likely only
one or two pictures. This means you will likely have to shrink it down
to something reasonable like 800x600, AND compress the image 50% using
something like IRFANVIEW, a free image processor available online. If
it's oversize you'll get a message that the moderator is considering it,
but the same guy that wrote this is the moderator, so you can guess what
the answer is. If you can't find an image processor and can't post it
online and send a link, you likely should not be building an airplane
either. It's really not that tough. I've posted a LOT of 70k images on
the list and on my website that are quite acceptable. Surely you can do
it with three times that allotment.

18) Those who violate these suggestions may find themselves wondering
why they don't get KRNet mail anymore. I reserve the right to throw
anybody overboard that I see fit...

Other KRnet info is given at http://www.krnet.org/info.html .
--
Mark Langford