Thanks for all the clarifications...many of which are different,
depending on FSDO (which is not surprising).  It would only make sense
that there is SOME way to get this accomplished, although it may not be
easy.  See below message from Robert Kidd...
_______________________

I bought a Falcon XP project that had been de-registered (N536AA,
experimental exhibition, de-registered 1996).  DAR told me it was ?dead,
could be used for parts only?.  I called Oklahoma and talked to
registration.  They said no problem, we do this all the time, just send
in a photo and letter describing situation, along with FAA Bill of Sale.
  I got Bill of Sale signed by last registered owner, sent photos of
parts, new registration form, they wrote back and said it needed to be
put together to be an ?airplane?.  So I mocked it up and took photos.
They registered it.  I finished putting it together and contacted local
FSDO to get Airworthiness Cert issued.  They wanted me to use a DAR, but
he was $450, so I asked if they could do it, discussion about schedules,
told him I was willing to wait, be flexible, whatever it took.  (FSDO
did contact previous registered owner and asked him some questions about
it.  I was at least the 4^th owner after he had de-registered it).  Had
A&P do condition inspection prior to FSDO staff doing inspection, FSDO
came, found 4 or 5 issues they wanted corrected, I fixed those, they
came back, issued new AW cert and operational limitations (because it is
exhibition, I had to provide program letter at time of AW issuance). 10
hour fly off for phase 1, within designated area, log book signoff to
exit phase 1, and I?m flying.  136 hours on it over a couple of years
now, just coming up on 2^nd anniversary with it.

It can be done.

Robert Kidd

Logan Utah