>From: aviationm...@aol.com
>
> > can you sign it off for IFR also???
>
>You can only sign off the items authorized by your authority(license).  To
>equip a plane for IFR means to install specific equipment and have
>completed
>specific certifications on the radio's, pitot static, and other systems.
>Some of
>which require different types of authority.

This thread comes up all the time on the RVlist.  While the above is true in
text, let me expound a little on the issue.  If you are the builder, and
hold the repairmans certificate, you can install approved and current IFR
instrumentation appropriate for ground facilities to be used.  If you don't
hold the certificate, you gotta go with ticket holders.  You must still have
the pitot/static and transponder checks by an approved facility.   The
actual "certification" of the operation of the installed equipment is done
by you.  This is achieved by taking the aircraft up and intercepting and
tracking to show the unit performs as required.  You then make the notation
in the log.  At the initial inspection, the designee will not authorize you
for IFR operations as he is not the builder and installer of the equipment
and has not performed the flight tests required to check the accuracy or
operation of the IFR equipment.  Up to this point your aircraft has not
flown so flight tests would not have available to certify the operation of
the unit.  After performing these tests, you will be authorized to operated
in IFR conditions being restricted to the ground facilities appropriate for
the equipment installed.

As I have stated many, many times, I fly IFR in my Bonanza.  I will fly IFR
in my RV.  I would not fly IFR in a KR.

Dana Overall
1999 & 2000 National KR Gathering host
Richmond, KY
RV-7 slider/fuselage, Imron black, "Black Magic"
Finish kit ordered!! Buying Instruments. Hangar flying my Dynon.
http://rvflying.tripod.com
do not archive

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95.
https://broadband.msn.com