Brian, I have the engine and carb setup as you describe, but without any
problems.

I was about to suggest you install one of the very inexpensive digital
temperature sensors in your carb air box , ahead of the carb, as I have.
They are cheap ( $10-15 ) and the remote sensor can be riveted to the box
floor for security.( picture on request)
One strange effect that I have noticed with this sensor installed as
mentioned  , is that when carb heat is applied partially , is that the
temperature in the box goes DOWN initially , not up as expected, due I
suspect , to a venturi effect , past the flapper valve.
Again , my set up is almost identical to yours ( minus the K&N filter ,
which I just bought , and was planning to install.). Currently , I have a
lawnmower type , flat paper , filter.

Not sure if this info helps but for what its worth I think the temp sensor
is a good idea and may help you understand what is happening better.

Regards

Chris Gardiner
C-GKRZ
2180VW GPAC , Zenith 1821 carb