alternator be mounted

Hi Dan
I had the opportunity to use an engine with the Diehl case and alt
installed.  I have a lot of electrics and was not impressed with the 20
Amps.  I have always used a Volks Power case and pondered just what it would
take to transition the Diehl case to work with an external alt.  The volks
power case(Out of business) uses the magneto drive puck as a V Belt pulley,
and has a raised boss for mounting the alternator..  I was typing all the
procedures that I would use to convert the case, till I got to the part
where I remembered that the alignment of the flywheel gear and the starter
mount were such that putting a pulley drive into the case would not work
because the flywheel gear runs where the belt would need to exit the case.
I determined in the end that it was not worth the effort.  Perhaps an
alternator could be reworked to mount to the case at the mag drive hole and
somehow be driven directly by the flywheel.  I would recommend that he
decrease his electrical load or sell the Diehl case and find one designed
for the external alternator.
Orma
Southfield, MI
N110LR celebrating 20 years