Hello Net
I did not try to collect specific scientific data on this trip, and only went
once around the pattern.  Here is what I did.  I loaded the KR with 3 #40 bags
of salt.  One on the floor Fwd of the Fwd Spar and one flat on the seat and one
leaning against the seat back for a total of #120.  To that I added 10 of 12
gallons to the header tank.  I am not sure yet what to do with the following
information, but I weighed the tail at #57.  Before flight, I ran the aircraft
up to full power and attempted to lift the tail.  With just me and fuel I could
raise the tail anywhere after 2500 rpm.  In this case I could barely raise the
tail at 3300 rpm.   Out to the runway, taxi was no difference, except for the
semi fullness of the cockpit.  I have a standard KR with 33.5 inches at the
shoulder position along the top longeron.  On the runway full throttle/full
boost 3300 rpm/35 initial MP.  The takeoff run was noticeably longer.  To bring
the tail up required increased stick force which was noticeable until lift off
at about 65 mph.  The take off run was not excessive.  At 400 ft AGL, I reduced
the boost and made my first turn.  In this simple climbing turn, I could feel
the increased weight.   I kept the turn shallow since I do not know the stall
numbers at this weight.  I completed down wind and base.  Balance and stability
seemed the same.  I did not feel the need to adjust trim.  I decreased speed
and at 100 mph I lowered flaps and started to slow down.  The sink rate seemed
a little faster, but again was well within limits and barely noticeable.  Touch
down and roll out were different.  I prefer wheel landings and if the tail is
low it usually takes minimal effort to keep it up as speed bleeds off.  This
time with the weight inside, keeping the tail up and the AC balanced on the
mains was more work.

My plan is to continue to fly with #120 until I become accustomed to the plane
with that load.  I will then add the other bags, one at a time.

Orma
Southfield, MI
N110LR Tweety, old enough to drink this year
Flying and more flying, to the gathering or bust
http://www.kr-2.aviation-mechanics.com/