Good for you Mark, to share the story and for staying calm in the face of a
real "bummer", excuse my pun!
Jim
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Jones" <flyk...@wi.rr.com>
To: "KR Net" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 10:18 PM
Subject: KR> Learn from my mistake. (long)

This morning I was up at daybreak and could not wait to get to the airport.
The wind was calm and the temp was 36° and the sky was beautiful blue. What
a morning to fly!!! I got to the airport at 6:30 am and pulled the KR out in
the glistening sun. Did my pre-flight, hopped in and prepped for start up.
Pumped the prime and she fired on the first revolution. I taxied to the pump
and put six gallons in each tank on top of what was already there. That
would give me a comfortable two hours in the air. Taxied to 29 and did a run
up. Pulled out on the runway and firewalled it, rotated at 60, lifted off at
70, climbed out at 95 and was at pattern altitude as I turned on downwind.
Held steady at 100 mph on downwind. Turned base then final. I was on a 1.5
mile final and reduced throttle to start bleeding off speed. Dropped the
speed brake half way and settled in at 90 mph. At one mile out, I dropped
the speed brake all the way down. Slowed to 80 by 1/2 mile and was at 70
over the numbers. I began my flare, throttle all the way out, and settled
down for a smooth as glass landing. Had her stopped at mid field turn off
(runway is 3000'). I then taxied back to runway 29 and prepared for
departure. All was clear, I made the call, firewalled it....rotation again
at 60 and lifted off at 70 mph. She climbed to about 300 feet above the
ground and stopped climbing. Speed had only reached 80 mph....the PUCKER
FACTOR was really setting in as I started looking for a field to set down
in. The engine was running smooth and strong....all gauges were right
on....what's happening...I stayed very calm and began checking everything.
Throttle full...mixture rich...carb heat off....all gauges were still
reading perfect except the altimeter and airspeed. I was clearing farm silos
not more than 200 ' and I think I saw the farmers daughter in the buff in a
hay stack. So, has anyone figured out the problem? All of a sudden it hit me
like a brick wall. I did not raise my speed brake after I made the last
landing. As I raised the speed brake, the airspeed quickly reached
100...110...120 and I pulled back on the stick and she climbed like a
homesick angel. Thank God..... Well after I peeled my butt loose from the
seat and relaxed, I continued on for a 1.3 hour flight.

Now, before you guys start flaming me, I was not going to tell this story on
the list but the more I thought about it, the more I felt you could learn
from my mistake. Yes, I have laminated check lists I use for every phase of
flight but I made them long before I installed the speed brake so it is not
on the check list. Second, I have not installed a position indicator on the
speed brake but now have the plans done to do so using micro switches and
LED's for indicator lights. So, learn anything? I did. I know the KR will
take off with the speed brake down but I would not advise doing it. I
honestly think by staying calm and level headed and meticulously diagnosing
the problem, saved my butt today. Man I love this KR stuff. Glad I am still
with you guys and I can not wait till tomorrow morning to fly again.

Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Wales, WI  USA
E-mail me at flyk...@wi.rr.com
Visit my KR-2S CorvAIRCRAFT web site at