patrusso wrote:

>Interesting. I have taken every flight report I could find, from 1980 to
>present and where reported, CHT is averaging  about 350 deg. They do not
>mention the kind of sensor used or it's location which I am sure will have
>some effect.

I have an engine manual published in the '70s by BAC By Bill Broadley on VW
engine conversion. Some of the ideas in there are pretty good. It has a
section on operating specs. This is for a 1500cc engine with a vertex mag
and one of those Eoropean VW side draft carburetors. The CHT is 300 deg. F
normal, 450 deg. max. 500 deg. F redline. The thermocouple is taken at #3
cylinder under the spark plug. I have had mine at this location and have
found it to be a problem with maintenance. I've located it under the #3
upper cylinder stud, between the nut and the washer and it reads a little
cool at that location, so I've decided to locate it at the lower #3 exhaust
flange nut where it gets good and hot. I'm going to have to make some parts
up to fit it all together. The BAC manual recomends that the oil temp. to
be, 180 deg. F normal, 200 deg. F maxium, and 240 deg. F redline. These are
about the numbers I'm getting on my 1641cc VW. Nothing on exhaust gas temp.
from this manual. Oil preasure at 2500 rpm is 28 lbs. (I get 30 lbs. on my
engine at this rpm.) Yellow line is 40 lbs. and red line is 50 lbs. At 350
rpm it's 7 lbs. I hope this helps.

-Joe