Again, the KR Gathering was an event which should not have been missed. What
a great group of people!!!!!. You really missed some great camaraderie if
you were not there. The very first arrival to the Gathering was a very nice
fellow from Czechoslovakia. Pavilio (spelling ?) was his name but we
nicknamed him Czech Dude and he loved it. Czech Dude was a great swimmer too
as he made good use of the lake by the camp ground. We had planes flown in
from all over the country. Many showed up on Thursday. Friday brought in a
few more as well as Saturday. Orma Robbins would have won the most
determined to fly to the Gathering as he had engine problems and finally
arrived Saturday about two hours before the Gathering Banquet. Again the
Gathering was well orchestrated and we have Larry Flesner to thank for that.
Here is a big YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa to you
Larry. Unfortunately a few KR Pilots were not able to stay for the whole
weekend and had to depart early. We really missed those guys. The evenings
brought camp fires and lots of great stories and probably even some tall
tales. Especially when we began talking about whose KR was the fastest.
There were all types of KR's there. Some were still under construction but
flying. Some needed to be rebuilt but were still were flying. Some were show
quality planes. But all the planes were beautiful!!!!!. It was a great
pleasure to fly my plane to the Gathering as that kinda of put the icing on
my building process. Getting to the Gathering in your own KR can only be
compared to an accomplishment such as reaching the summit of Mt Everest.
Prime Rib was served at the Banquet Saturday night along with chicken. What
a meal that was. I have got to quit eating so good cause Langford's plane
can easily out run mine. We went up for a photo shoot as Langford led the
way, behind him was Brian Kraut in his Midget Mustang the me. I was about
1/4 mile behind Brian and he did a barrel roll right in front of me. Too
Cool!!!! On another flight, I chased Jim Faughn all over the sky and we
executed many low passes and missed approaches which were really high speed
passes. What a blast as I played follow the leader behind Jim. On a couple
of passes he banked about 80° and made abrupt pull ups. I followed but not
as severe. The skies brought us extreme high heat and very hazy conditions.
Visibility was very low. Most of the time it was marginal VFR at the best.
This raised the question should we do the Gathering late Sept or early
October for cooler temps and hopefully better skies. This will be discussed
later. And as a final note, it was voted on at the banquet to keep the 2006
Gathering in Mt Vernon. More on that later too. Hope everyone made it home
safe.

Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Wales, WI  USA
E-mail me at flyk...@wi.rr.com