From: "Mark Jones" <flyk...@wi.rr.com>
To: "Corvaircraft" <corvaircr...@mylist.net>; "KR Net" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 3:09 AM
Subject: KR> Dual Ignition Systems, it Saved My Bacon

Yes, that is correct. I too have joined the elite group of knowing what a
dead engine in flight sounds like. There is no sound and man is that one
quiet cockpit when the engine ceases to sing. Yesterday as I was leaving the
KR Gathering out of Mt. Vernon, Illinois, my engine hic-upped. I really did
not think much of it thinking maybe an air bubble in the fuel line. Well I
continued to climb and was at 2300' ASL when all of a sudden things got real
quiet. I was not too far away from the airport so I executed a 180° and set
up a glide to MVN runway 23 and announced that 6MJ had turned final. Next,
flipped the toggle switch to my back up secondary ignition and hit the
starter. The engine fired right up and we started climbing. Instead of
continuing to land, I decided to keep climbing and circling. After three
circles and altitude gained, I determined the problem was strictly
electrical and not the engine. I tested the main ignition again and again
the engine died but only for a half second as I immediately went back to
secondary ignition. Probably not the wisest decision but I decided to head
on to my first stop at Pontiac, Illinois which was 149 miles away. I was
never out of gliding distance from an airport and made the leg there with no
further problems. The haze was terrible and from 15 miles out I began
calling my position to PNT traffic. I noticed there were several planes in
the area and some calling taxi back on the runway. At five miles out I still
could just barely see the airport. As I entered downwind for PNT runway 24,
I noticed four planes in the holding area waiting for my arrival. On one
mile final, I noticed there were at least two hundred folks sitting around
the tarmac watching the runway. Needless to say, I made the worst landing I
have ever made in my KR. I bounced two, maybe three times and then swerved
back an forth on the runway. This was the one day out of the year they have
their local fly-in and I dropped in right in the middle of it. Anyway, I
pulled my cowl look for the problem and found that the condenser wire had
broken at the coil. A pair of wire strippers and a wrench and two minutes
later the problem was fixed. The only problem now was that I had drawn a
crowd of pilots and spectators and the questions about the plane and engine
started flying. An hour later, I managed to continue my journey which was
eventless the rest of the way home. Moral of the story is: Redundancy will
save your bacon. Don't fly without it.

Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Wales, WI  USA
E-mail me at flyk...@wi.rr.com
Visit my KR-2S CorvAIRCRAFT web site at
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/n886mj

It has removed 24377 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!