Excuse me if I ramble on, but I am in San Diego for work with nothing better
to do right now.

I got back home Saturday to Jacksonville from another great gathering.  Many
thanks to Larry again for a great job.  Also thanks to Bob Glidden for his
hospitality and work as the camp master.

The M1 was great to fly.  I have about 80 hours on it now and the odometer
on my GPS is showing that I have flown it nearly 10,000 miles.  I did most
of my flying to the gathering and back at 9,500' and 145 knots.

I left Thursday while the outer bands of Ophelia were still over
Jacksonville.  I never expected to make it out, but I needed to do some work
on the plane and I had everything packed just in case.  I got to the airport
in the morning and worked for a few hours before I had all the must finish
items done.  There were a few other minor things I wanted to work on when I
saw a small blue hole in the overcast layer so I put it all back together
and jumped in.  Winds were something like 17 and gusting to 24.  I got up
and found that there was a broken layer about 1,500', one around 2,000', and
a third around 2,700'.  The holes were big enough that I could get on top
and still stay legal.  The tops of the clouds were 4,500' and it was
perfectly smooth and clear above there.

I seem to be having bad luck with fuel lately.  I have 15 gallons and that
gets me 2 hours and 20 minutes.  On the way there I was going to land and
get fuel on an airport that was on the sectional, but I got over the airport
and saw that it was closed down with big yellow Xs on the runway.  Instead
of going on to the next airport that was a little further I diverted to
another closer airport.  I got there and found one hangar and no services or
people at all.  I have read too many accident reports where people pass an
airport and continue on to a crash so I landed there.  Luckilly, there were
two people walking near there that gave me a ride to the nearest gas station
15 miles away to get a can of 93 octane.

On the way home I decided to make an early fuel stop at a fairly good sized
airport, but nobody was home.  It had a good sized aviation college, but no
one there on the weekends.  Since I stopped early I was able to take back
off and fly to another airport 15 miles away that had a self serve pump.  Of
course all of these airports were in the middle of nowhere with no cell
phone coverage.

Anyway, I made it home the 700 and something miles in about 5 hours and
can't wait until next year.

Brian Kraut
Engineering Alternatives, Inc.
www.engalt.com