>I would like to talk to the experts that gave you that information.  West
>System was formulated for bonding wood and other materials.  It is also
>used on the surface of wood boats to encapsulate the wood to protect the
>wood from water--not for "cosmetic purposes" although epoxy does leave a
>nice surface for adding a fine finish.

Yes, it protects the wood from water. That is what I said.
As far as the experts go, try:
Bill Ortel, Chino - his name is frequently in Sport Plane (EAA) for
his expertise.
Terry Price, Chair of Composite Department, Cerritos College (Listed
by "Composite Mfg Magazine" as the best composite school in America,
and one of the very best in the world)

Larry Severson
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 968-9852