Hey, by the way, a couple weeks ago, I was lucky enough to fly as a
passenger in a Diesel-powered Cessna 182. That was at the FIDAe Air Show,
in Chile. The plane is a factory demonstrator, and actually belongs to
SMA, which is a Safran Group company. As you all know by now, I am a
Diesel power enthusiast,. But I happen to be a Safran employee too, so it
was relativelisy easy to negotiate a ride.

The plane had just crossed the Andes between Argentina and Chile behind
its 230 hp six cylinder flat Turbo Diesel, without a glitch. I was invited
fo a flight around Santiago, and during the flight, I was impressed with
the very neat FADEC (which has a manual backup in case of failure), and
the very low noise and vibration levels as compared to the petrol engine
it replaces. Conversation is possible on board withou a headset. There was
a fuel flow meter, and the readings were also quite impressive. The fuel
consumption is, roughly, less 40% in volume as compared to petrol. And of
course, this is JET A1 fuel, so the fuel cost difference becomes even
more.

Serge Vidal
KR2 "Kilimanjaro Cloud"
Paris, France

"Ron Freiberger" <ronandmar...@earthlink.net>

Envoyé par : krnet-boun...@mylist.net
24/04/2006 18:06
Veuillez répondre à KRnet
Remis le : 24/04/2006 18:06

        Pour :  "'KRnet'" <kr...@mylist.net>
        cc :    (ccc : Serge VIDAL/DNSA/SAGEM)
        Objet : RE: KR> Ethanol

It takes twice as much ethanol than gasoline to do the same task, and
when they blend 10% ethanol, you're losing 5% in value.

Ethanol is a big joke, ranking just behind hydrogen as a good idea.
Think about how they make hydrogen.  In our imperfect government,
they'll probably use ethanol to fuel that reaction.

The best fuel for long distance flying is diesel.  For a short distance,
the take-off weight is higher.

Ron and Martha Freiberger
mail to ronandmar...@earthlink.net