From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Dana Overall
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:23 AM
To: kr...@mylist.net
Subject: KR> Couple things

OK, soap box time.

Traffic detection units:  I have a Monroy system in my new panel.  I have
used it in other aircraft I have flown and found it to be effective in
pointing out traffic.  I have mine wired through the intercom now and would
feel "nearsighted" without it.  At the cost of these units, I would
recommend them without hesitation.  (My experience and opinion only).

Weather:  Garmin just came out with their new 496.  Start looking for 396's
on Ebay as a lot of people on that ol metal forum I am on have already
bought 496's.  The weather function of the 396 works quite nicely and is
endorsed by pilots I know who fly cross country on a regular basis.  The 396
has made their airplanes more useful and their flights more safe.

Gathering:  After hosting the National KR Gathering two times, I will go out
on a short limb and say the reason it has been held for only two years by
one person is it is a lot of work.  The second one is much easier than the
first one as you already have items in the que.  After two, it has been time
for someone else to do the work.  The two I hosted were 1.5 hours by Bonanza
or 6 hours by car from my house.  Why?, because the western KY area was
within flying or driving distance from something like 35 states.  The more
centrally located, the more people you get at the gathering.  It is, and has
been, acceptable to discuss it on the KRNet prior to the gathering.  Stirs
the thought process.  You will never satisfy all the people, you can only
satisfy the majority.  Thus the vote at the gathering.

Flying lessons, near accident, accidents.  Point out your experience, do not
criticize comments.  Learn the truth, do not quote hearsay.  Learn from
accidents.  Flying lessons:  Learn from Mark's comments about his flying.
What could be done to avoid that situation, not what you think he did wrong
or right.  I met a jet one time, doing the same thing Mark was doing but I
was at about 10200..........man, I guess I should take a
floggin..................but guess what, so was the jet jockey.  Accidents,
be aware of who is behind you.  The reports from Oshkosh are that the
warbird pilot taxied for 1000' and never did see the RV.  Guess what, the RV
pilot never knew the warbird was behind him.  My friend flying the formation
landing pulled too soon on the three count break and flew into the bottom of
lead.  Learn, do not criticize.  Don't feel the need to comment on every
single post on this forum.  It's kinda like crying wolf, after a while
nobody listens.

Be safe...........now back to your regular programming.

Dana Overall
1999 & 2000 National KR Gathering host
Richmond, KY i39
RV-7 slider, Imron black, "Black Magic"