Way back at the beginning of this thread I think that at least I mispoke
myself in my post.

I was not trying to state which was better, merely that there was a concrete
reason why each type of landing was performed, but was up to the discretion
of the pilot. My main point was that at least to fly certified aircraft and
acquire the proper endorsement of tailwheel airplane, you must demonstrate
proficiency in both types of landings. Also, according to the Airplane
Flying Handbook which the FAA considers the main resource for information
concerning principles of flight and transition into other types of aircraft
from the trainers, 3 point landings are PREFERRED for no wind or light wind
situations, and wheel landings are preferred for crosswind and gusting
circumstances. This is what a pilot supposed to be taught without prejudice
(Hahaha) when being given transition training. Not withstanding aircraft
differences the general concensus is that one should be proficient in both
types of landings.

Colin Rainey
brokerpi...@bellsouth.net