From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Mark Langford
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 11:35 PM
To: KRnet
Cc: Corvair engines for homebuilt aircraft
Subject: KR> Sterba prop data vs Sensenich

NetHeads,

I should have waited for a 59 degree day, but it was pretty much gorgeous
this afternoon, so I flew the 52x60 Sterba prop on the new 3100cc engine for
the first time today.  Although I didn't really plan it, I did a 0' AGL to
7500' climb test, then leveled off at 7500' for a wide open throttle test,
then pulled the throttle back to idle and did a glide test / simulated
engine-out thing just to see how far I could glide.

My first clue that this was going to be quite different from the Sensenich
54 x 54 was that I had to just about double the engine RPM to get the plane
moving away from the hangar.  I actually got out to see if I had two flat
tires, but "no joy".  The Sterba just didn't move as much air at "low"
airspeeds.  Then I took off, and ate up about 50% more runway than usual
getting off, and I started to question touch and goes in the future. Climb
rate was down from 1300'/min to about 1000'/min, but it's also a 20 degree
warmer day than that test on the Sensenich.  The Sensenich allows (maybe
begs) you to assume a really steep climb angle just to keep the climb speed
down to 100 mph.  The Sterba was much shallower to maintain the same speed,
with slower climb rate.

Top speed at 7500' is 170 mph TAS, about 7 mph slower than the Sensenich,
but at a whopping 500 rpm slower!  This means I'm still screaming along, but
with a lot less load on the engine, lower fuel consumption, and noise in the
cockpit, which is not a bad deal.  The lack of spinner probably cost me 2
mph also, so we're down to only 5 mph, and it was 20 degrees  warmer today
than the Sensenich test, so that narrows the gap even more.  Not a bad
flying experience, actually, but the lack of climb rate means a decrease in
safety margin during takeoffs.

The glide test raised the glide ratio bar (although this probably has more
to do with improved piloting and data gathering) from 11.5:1 to 12.3:1.  Ten
miles out from the airport at 7500' I chopped the throttle to idle and
glided to Fayetteville.  Seven minutes later at 3000' I crossed the runway
at midfield, and had to do some serious slipping to fly the pattern and drop
from 3000' to the runway to put it on the numbers.  The average glide speed
was about 75 mph at 630 ft/min, about 13 mph above stall speed clean.  Any
slower and vertical speed increased.

I did five  touch and goes and flew to M38 and did three more.  When I left
the gas pump I did my usual business of standing on one brake and increasing
to about half throttle, but the plane wouldn't move...not until I wound it
out to wide open.  Quite a difference in props!  I guess what I'm describing
is the difference in a climb prop and a cruise prop, except the Sterba's
still too coarse to be a cruise prop for my plane.  But somewhere in the
middle is going to be sweet!  I'm not going to worry about it until I get
wheel pants and leg fairings, among other things, but it's now clear to me
that I can do better in the prop department.  More testing is in order...

Mark Langford
email: N56ML "a" hiwaay.net
website:  www.N56ML.com