Somebody asked me a question this morning, and the following is my reply.  I
think it falls under the heading of things that I'd do differently given
another chance.  I need to update my fuel tank page with it.

> For fuel connections I would cut out a round aluminum plate out of 3/8"
> aluminum, drill and tap a 3/8" NPT hole in the middle, and build this into
> the structure as you build the tanks.  Cut out the foam, substitute the
> aluminum block, and glass right over it on the inside, then drill a hole
> through it later from the outside (and vacuum out the chips).  Put several
> layers of glass around these to reinforce them so you can install an AN-6
> fitting later without tearing them out.  Drains can be done the same way.
> I tried just floxing aluminum tubing into the top, and one of my tanks
> leaks when full because I didn't do a perfect job.
>
> Don't use the black plastic fillers that I used.  Wicks and AS&S both sell
> a large plastic (white, I think) filler with a knurled aluminum collar
> which you flox into the tank.  That way you can see how much fuel you have
> while filling it.  My small black plastic filler tube leaves it a mystery
> until the fuel spills out the top.  It's also big enough that a child's
> hand could reach in there to jiggle a stuck fuel sender or to remove
> debris.

There are some other details on making my fuel tanks at
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/wingtank.html and
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/swings.html .  I guess I should add these
comments to one of them.

 Mark Langford, Harvest, AL