John,

Your situation sounds similar to mine.

The HIO FSDO showed me the Temporary Airworthiness Certificate expired 12
months after initial issue.  You might check the original Operating
Limitations letter.

The FSDO also told me the extent of the Major Modifications would require at
the very least a re-inspection, essentially a new airworthiness.  I hoped to
complete the prior owner's 22 hours permitting to gain full privileges after
18 hours of additional flight-testing.  No dice.

As to the ELT, if you do not own one, you can go with either type now or at
the end of the test period.  The 121.5 is less expensive but the 406 is
supposed to give a more localized search area.  Is that what you want?

John Bouyea

N5391M/ KR2 in rebuild mode

Hillsboro, Oregon

(not that far from you!)

Re: KR> ELT in restored kr-2

Hi,

My kr-2 got it's airworthiness cert, and operating limitations back in the
1980's.

Now with a new motor, canopy, foredeck and cowl, I am sure they will want me
to fly off 40 hours in addition to the 22 already logged.

What about the ELT?  It has none now. No mention of one in the logs. What do
I have to do?  Old style, new style, exempt via operating limitations, then
get one later? what?

thanks

jg

N611GB