A lot has been said about gas strut mounting, and I'm sure it's mostly true,
at least for the struts described.  I mounted my "Life-o-mat" struts "upside
down" for some reason that was way too along ago to remember, and I must say
they are as smooth as I could ever hope for, and I've had zero problems with
them.  They also have the nice feature of slowing down at the end of the up
stroke so the canopy is gently brought to a smooth stop.  Of course now I'll
have to turn them around to see if it makes any difference, which will take
about two minutes, but I can't imagine that they could work any better.  See
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/04103050m.jpg ...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, AL
mail: N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website: www.N56ML.com