From: jscott.pi...@juno.com
To: kr...@mylist.net
Sent: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:13 pm
Subject: Re: KR> RE: KR nose wheel shimmy

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:16:47 -0400 "Dan Heath" <da...@windstream.net>
writes:
> I have to be a "smart A" here and say that there is one sure fire
> cure for nose wheel shimmy.
>
> Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC

Yep.  Then you get a tail wheel shimmy. :o)

FWIW, caster, tire pressure, and damping all apply whether we're talking
about nosewheel or tailwheel shimmy.  I get an occassional shimmy in the
tailwheel on my KR.  Since I can't adjust the tire pressure in my hard
tire, and can't adjust the caster unless I want to bend the tailwheel
spring, it is always addressed with damping by snugging down the nut on
the tailwheel shaft where it goes vertically through the tailwheel frame.
 I usually need to snug it down every 75 - 100 hours to prevent shimmy.

Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM