Sent: Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:19 AM
Subject: KR> 193 mph!

NetHeads,

I finally got to fly again yesterday.  Is seems the weather goes crappy as
soon as I return, and then turns sunny and mild when I depart.  But I
squeezed in two hours yesterday while dodging rain showers, except I
deliberately spent about five minutes in a downpour getting the wing leading
edges and canopy cleaned with zero effort.

I found myself over Lake Guntersville, and running wide open.  I was playing
fighter pilot and spotted two boats blasting along side by side, and split
them down the middle from the other direction.  I then hauled up and left on
the stick, came back around at 90 degrees to them, and by pure coincidence,
my shadow hit the first boat and then the second, with perfect timing.  I
guess that's as close as I'll get to strafing anything, but it was a lot of
fun.

I then did two wide open runs down the lake at 180 degree directions,
comparing GPS numbers to IAS numbers.  The end result was a
straight-and-level average of 193 mph true airspeed!

Things are supposed to be pretty nice next week, so I should be able to get
in a few more hours (and a little sun) for a change.  Life is good...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com