That is a bogus report that seems to surface pretty regularly.  There is no
restriction on using an experimental aircraft for Young Eagles.

Reference
<http://www.youngeagles.org/volunteers/resources/content/YE%20Resource%20-%20EAA%20Young%20Eagle%20Pilot%20Guidelines.pdf>
or easier yet Google "Young Eagle Pilot Requirements".

The requirements sheet does state that your aircraft has to be in an airworthy
condition and have passenger liability insurance.  Those are the only
references to the aircraft itself.

It would be kind of ironic for the Experimental Aircraft Association to not
allow Experimental Aircraft.  However, that is not the case.

Yes, my KR has been used for Young Eagles.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM
EAA Chapter 691 President