This past Wednesday, N886MJ experienced yet another engine failure resulting in
another dead stick landing which turned out good since I was again able to
glide safely back to the airport. The cam gear failed.  I experienced the exact
failure of the cam gear as I did Last November 1st. The only difference this
time was that this one lasted 44 hours vs the 4.5 hour life of the first cam
gear failure. Now for all you Corvair guys, don't go and get all hot and
bothered about this as we suspect this is inherent to my engine only. Remember
I had a crankshaft breakage just prior to the first cam gear failure which
possibly could have damaged the case in a way that would allow the cam or crank
to oscillate in an unnatural way that did not show up on tolerance checks.. We
did replace the crankshaft, camshaft and both gears on both rebuilds. On this
last rebuild everything was meticulously built, checked and rechecked. I will
keep everyone informed to any findings as we tear down and rebuild.

The sad part is that I was leaving for the KR Gathering on Sept 17th with some
new tail art which I was looking forward to everyone seeing and enjoying. I
simply can not wait another year for all of you to see it so here is a link.
Hope you enjoy it: http://flykr2s.com/photo.html

Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Stevens Point, WI
E-mail: flyk...@charter.net