The VW cases used for aircraft are usually the dual relief cases. The
foreword relief plug is the thermal relief, it has the longer spring, and
channels the oil either to the oil cooler or back into the main oil galley
based on the oil viscosity. The rear relief plug, has the shorter spring,
and is the pressure relief valve. It channels oil to the galley and opens up
when the oil pressure is too high. With this rear plug you can increase the
back pressure on the spring itself by installing an aftermarket adjustable
plug that you can buy form any VW outlet. It has a threaded hole and allan
bolt with a lock nut on the outside, and an adaptor disk that interfaces
with the spring and the end of the allan bolt on the inside. It also comes
with a new crush ring. I've put one on my plane after I installed the new
full flow oil filter set up and I can boost the pressure on a low idle after
the engine and oil warms up. You should never use anything other that 30w
oil in a VW.

Joe