>  I will be glassing the stub wings this weekend and I  was
> wondering if the area between the stub and the wing template gets
> the same amount of foam to fill in the gap  or can I put all the
> gap filling foam on the wing ?
>Mike Sylvester
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I solved the "gap" problem as follows.  I cut and glued an additional
48" rib to the inboard end of the outer wing spars and used that
extra rib and the outer 36" rib as my sanding templets to shape the
outer wing.  With the stub wing completed and the outer wing
completed, that left the gap between the outer wing and the stub wing
to fill.  I filled the gap with foam, sanded , and glassed.  I then
cut the wings apart, enlarging the cut in the ares of the wing attach
fittings and separated the two.  I sanded the underside of this foam
to form a triangle shape and glassed that.  That gives me a gap, with
wings installed, the thickness of a hacksaw blade with cutouts in the
area of the wing attach fittings.  I tried making glass covers for
the gap but when the first set did not meet the quality I was looking
for I went to the hardware store and bought a roll of aluminum
"flashing", 6"s wide, cut it in half, and attached to the wing with a
few screws.  That has worked for 355 hours now and I doubt if I'll
ever change it.  I do have a roll of white flashing material that I
may get around to installing some day.

http://mysite.verizon.net/flesner/02092585.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/flesner/020925113.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/flesner/lf103.jpg

I later found it necessary to cut a 4" X 9" access hole in the bottom
of the stub wing between the forward and aft spar to attach fuel
lines, electrical lines, and have access to calibrate my fuel senders.

Larry Flesner