But the distance from the front of the spar to the rear of the
rear spar is only about 24" or so, and I don't see that making a huge
difference in starting capacity.
---------------------

I moved my battery around during the early flight staged, and testing, I
went from behind the pass seat to firewall aft side, as Mark did.
I now have a heavy forward Cof G, I need a min 70kg pilot to fly and I have
a no problems with fuel with two in the plane.
( But I have wing tanks, with very little CofG  change from full to empty.)

Phil Matheson
SAAA Ch. 20  http://www.saaa20.org/
VH-PKR
Australia

EMAIL:   phillipmathe...@bigpond.com
KR Web Page: www.philskr2.50megs.com

Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: KR> battery location

Paul in NH wrote:

> Where do most folks place the battery?

I was going to throw out that the best place is on the cabin side of the
firewall, on top of the firewall shelf where mine is, but then it occured to
me that not many people have removable front decks like I do, access would
be limited for most.  So I guess next best would be up against the front
edge of the front spar where it'd be out of the way, and away from the
engine heat.  But the distance from the front of the spar to the rear of the
rear spar is only about 24" or so, and I don't see that making a huge
difference in starting capacity.  If you are sure your connections are good,
and your cables are reasonable size, they ought to work, but if they are old
and internally corroded, a new set of cables with very clean connections may
do wonders.  I forget exactly what my cables are, but I believe I used 4 AWG
cable, which appears to be plenty for just about any kind of KR installation
(see http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/alternators/cables.html for more
on that).  I'm starting a Corvair with a Sentra starter and a 20 Ahr
battery, and it works fine, even on 30F days like Saturday when I flew it
just after dawn...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com