From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net] On Behalf
Of Mark Langford
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 3:15 PM
To: KRnet
Subject: Re: KR> fasteners

Dan Heath wrote:

> I avoid the floating type, like the plague.

I agree.  I started my engineering career designing Space Shuttle equipment,

and we used them just about everywhere to take care of tolerances between
existing and new equipment, different vendor items, and it's just generally
good "I know it will fit together" design practice.  But when it came to
stuff like mounting my cowling, I match drilled through the cowling and into

the brackets with the same sise drill bit as the fastener (#8 in this case),

then bolted the fixed "nut plate" (anchor nut) to the bracket, match drilled

the rivets and installed them, and the resulting fit is perfect.  Otherwise
I'd find myself chasing the floating part around trying to get things to
line up...

Mark Langford
n5...@hiwaay.net
website www.n56ml.com