I don't remember the exact reason, but I read in a Raymer aircraft design
book that any kind of forward sweep was a bad idea on general aviation
aircraft, for various reasons including stability and stall characteristics.
We're talking forward sweep though, not just "no" sweep.

Below is something I snagged off the web:

Advantages

  a.. Better off-design span loading (but with less taper: Cl advantage,
weight penalty)

  b.. Aeroelastically enhanced maneuverability

  c.. Smaller basic lift distribution

  d.. Reduced leading edge sweep for given structural sweep

  e.. Increased trailing edge sweep for given structural sweep - lower CDc

  f.. Unobstructed cabin

  g.. Easy gear placement

  h.. Good for turboprop placement

  i.. Laminar flow advantages?

Disadvantages

  a.. Aeroelastic divergence or penalty to avoid it

  b.. Lower |Cl?| (effective dihedral)

  c.. Lower Cn? (yaw stability)

  d.. Bad for winglets

  e.. Stall location (more difficult)

  f.. Large Cm0 with flaps

  g.. Reduced pitch stability due to additional lift and fuse interference

  h.. Smaller tail length???

Mark Langford
n5...@hiwaay.net
website www.n56ml.com