Several of us talked about doing a forum on "KR hints and other stuff" at the
Gathering, but somehow we never got around to doing it.  So I'll throw this out
and encourage others to share a tidbit or two of knowledge they've arrived at
during their building and/or flying KRs.

One really dumb thing I did was locate my transponder antenna on the bottom of
my plane.  I'm not sure what I was thinking there, as it just hangs out in the
breeze collecting oil and exhaust, and it could be just as easily mounted
INSIDE the fuselage and work just fine.  It is possible for oil on the antenna
to change the characteristics such that the antenna is not as well matched to
the transponder (SWR), degrading performance and potentially damaging the
transponder.  At least that's what a local EE and avionics whiz told me after
my first transponder mysteriously croaked.  Inside the fuselage makes a lot
more sense, and that's where I put it this afternoon.  It took about 15 minutes
to move it.

One more tidbit that may save your airplane from total destruction is
this...while at Corvair Wings and Wheels a few years ago I noticed my seat had
a 6" "cut" in it.  Closer examination showed the thing was burned.  I deduced
that the sun had done it by way of the canopy, but couldn't reproduce it.  Last
year I noticed a charred place on the glare shield...still couldn't figure out
the exact mechanism.  Last weekend at my father's farm I landed and flipped
open the canopy, then started smelling smoke about a minute later.  I noticed a
super bright patch of sunlight on the glare shield, and the paint was smoking!
 It turns out the canopy isn't acting like a magnifying glass, but as a
parabolic reflector instead.  If the canopy is open on a dry clear day, and the
sun is low enough to be shining in the back side of the canopy, it can be
focused into a spot about the size of a dime and set something on fire!  So be
forewarned...don't leave your forward tilting canopy open with the inside
facing the sun.  See http://www.n56ml.com/misc/100912275sm.jpg for a photo of
previous charring damage and the "sun spot".  The charred spot could easily
have become a burning KR, but apparently I closed the canopy before it
spontaneously combusted.  This all points out why using aviation-certified
construction materials would be a stellar idea...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com