I believe that I read somewhere that there is a product that can be added to
the final layer of a Vinyl Ester Resin lay-up, that will make it easy to
sand.  Does anyone know what it is and where I can get it?

Daniel R. Heath
Dan,
On a single curve surface you can wet out a sheet of peal-ply (Dacron) over
the last layup available from Aircraft Spruce.  After the layup is cured,
peal off the peal-ply to reveal a mat finish surface ready for painting with
very little sanding.  For compound curves where the peal-ply won't conform,
make up some micro with the Vinyl Ester Resin and micro balloons (glass
beads) fairly thick, but still wet.  Slather that on and let cure.  The
micro will sand very nicely.  The Vinyl Ester tends to gum up on the sand
paper, especially if you power sand.  Hand sanding works well with the
micro.  To prevent the gum up, keep the surface wet with water when you
sand.  I used an old windex spray bottle with plain tap water.  Wipe the
residue off the sand paper and sanding surface often using a paper towel.  A
sheet of wet sandpaper will sand an entire wing with micro.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA
smw...@md.metrocast.net