Robert wrote:

I have a question on hooking up my CHT sensor and my EGT sensor. The leads
on the sensors are only about 12" long. Do I need to use the same type of
wire

Robert,

The short answer is you should use the same type wire, but...

Using a different type wire will introduce some degree of bias to the
sensor, since they operate on bi-metal characteristics.  Having said that,
at some point the sensor is going to have to change from its own wire to
your display's wire, making a second bi-metal connection.  If you are using
something like a Westach unit, you may not want to splice a different kind
of wire into the sender.  If you are using something like a Dynon or MGL
EFIS, the effect of lengths of a different wire will be somewhat mitigated.

I have a Dynon FlightDEK D-180 display.  My EGT and CHT senders all have
22GA wire extensions on them and I do not see any appreciable impact on
their readings.  They have been tested with boiling water and against an IR
thermometer to verify their accuracy.  It may not be textbook, but it works
fine.

IHS,

David Goodman
Vertical Avionics, Inc.