Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 22:49:53 -0800
From: "BadBob" <badbob0...@embarqmail.com>
Subject: KR> RE: Canopy Gluing- Epoxy
To: <kr...@mylist.net>

Joe stated;
"Any holes drilled around the edges make for a potential stress riser. Drill
no holes."

I would have to respectfully disagree, to a point, with Joe on this one. (I
don't find myself in that position often as he is a wealth of good
information!).
The canopy on my Thorp T-18 was drilled and had screws holding it on with no
glue. The canopy on my  Cassutt is also bolted on and
has seen 250 MPH+ without an issue.
Now, having said that, Joe brings up an important point. A stress riser is
to be avoided on a plastic canopy. You do not drill a canopy
the way you drill other things. If so inclined to drill please research the
subject thoroughly or you will be buying another canopy! Also you must
mount, through the hole, without binding the canopy. You can, however,
drill a canopy and bolt it or cotton flox it for added strength, however,
heed Joes warning and be careful.

Bob Johnson
Willamina, OR
971-645-9491