"I like the idea of having the decks removeable but am concerned
with water ingress when the plane stands outside in the rain."

Hello Dene,

Like others have done, the entire top of my airplane is easily removable. I
made my front and aft turtle decks the same way you make a lot of
foam/fiberglass parts. Your start with a template at both ends, put foam
between the templates, sand to shape and glass. The first thing I did was get
my canopy mounted the way I wanted it on the fuselage. I then made the frame
for the canopy and glassed the canopy to the frame. I made the aft part of my
canopy frame "structural" with the addition of a very deep rib. I put several
layers of glass in this area and it forms my roll bar. Now add the fire wall up
front and a small half circle template at the leading edge of your vertical
stabilizer and you have both templates for the front and rear turtle decks. To
avoid a very "angular" look I put about a one inch spacer over the aft edge of
my canopy, and then sanded to that spacer. I then removed this spacer and
sanded down to the edge of the canopy transitioning a nice radius into the
original profile of the rear turtle deck. This worked out real well and I am
very happy with the result and you end up with a perfectly fitting turtle deck
no matter how you built your fuselage.

To get a good seal at my top longerons I first ran a strip of duct tape the
full length of my aft fuselage and rolled it over and down both sides of the
fuselage. Using two inch duct tape will give your at least one inch of tape on
the vertical sides. With the foam in place I first took a two inch wide tape of
fiberglass and extended it 1/4" down the side of the fuselage onto the duct
tape and let the rest overlap onto the foam. I then glassed the rest of the
turtle deck with KR cloth per plans but also allowed this to extend down the
1/4". Be sure you clean up any "runs" of epoxy that make it all the way down
the duct tape and onto the fuselage sides. If not, it will be harder to remove.
Once cured use a putty knife under one edge and work your way down the fuselage
and the glass will pop off the tape.

Now turn it over and dig out the inside to suit your desire and glass the
inside. I started with 6" slabs of foam and sanded out the inside to a depth of
about two inches. I also left a vertical rib of about four inches that runs the
entire length right down the center. If you dig out much more foam than this I
would suggest that you reinstall the turtle deck on the fuselage to cure so
that it maintains the shape you want. Once the inside and outside have been
glassed you can them come back and glass the surface that will be in contact
with the top of the top longerons and the two ends. I put a "joggle" in the
front of my turtle deck where my canopy will overlap when closed.

The final result is a custom made part that fits your fuselage perfectly, minus
the thickness of a piece of duct tape, and will seal out any chance of rain
entering your fuselage in this area.

Stephen Teate
Paradise, Texas
The information in this email is confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you are not an intended recipient,
you should delete this message.  Access to this email by
anyone else is unauthorized, and any disclosure, copying,
distribution or action taken or omitted in reliance on it
is prohibited and may be unlawful.