> Aside from the clearance benefit, have any of you made such a change or
know of
the results of a smaller prop with the same pitch?

Yes.  Long ago one of my Sterbas was cut down from 54" to 52" and in fact
this was done with the same size engine you reference.   The result was
an additional 100 RPM.

You might send that prop back to be refinished.   Just suggesting this is
an option - that crack doesn't automatically trash the prop.  I had some
small cracks on the tips of a well-used Sterba which he repaired and
refinished (for free!) and did not take any diameter off of the prop.  It
looks like new and it's 25 years old.  Cracks can be repaired.

Mike
KSEE