I would certainly support the idea of a "Members Only" section of AirVenture
for members of EAA/pilots/experimental builders... after all, that is why I
joined; so I could see and find out what the experimental idea was about
when I found out what a 30 year old certificated airplane would cost.

Having said that, however, keep in mind that AirVenture has become a true
carnival event... people get exposure to aviation that they would/can get
nowhere else on the planet (literally). So I don't have a problem with the
organization or the event.

 To put it in perspective, I live in SE Wisconsin near the Gurney IL Great
America theme park... without special discounts you'll spend ~$70 to get in,
$15 to park. Rides are "free" but you will stand in line for 30 - 40 minutes
to get on (unless you pay a premium "gold" membership). $5 hot dog.... get
real, try $10 plus $5 for your drink... you don't even want to know what the
souvenirs cost. A family of four can drop $300 a day with no problem, and
that doesn't count lodging if you are from out of town.

This kind of thing is always a financial game; support your local EAA
chapter and participate in young Eagles, breakfast fly ins etc. AirVenture
is the place to go to see the "big iron" and new avionics and 'dream a
little'. I go because I can see everything; as a member, other 'home builts,
and get ideas; F-22 raptor 'flashing' the crowd; aircraft from when I was
young and in the Marine Corps with 1st MAW (F4's, A4's, miscellaneous
helicopters, and yes, noisy Harriers, not to mention A6's).

Oshkosh is what it is; I enjoy it and will continue to attend.

JMHO

Mark W
N952MW res.

Larry Howell wrote;

I have been attending the Oshkosh EAA Convention since 1978 and have been
fortunate enough to have attended every year since that time. I have had
many friends during all these years like some of you who have flown their
homebuilt airplanes there. Some of them have been damaged by unknowing,
uncaring or careless spectators. I have seen unsupervised children